Welcome to the second Panthers Prospect Update where we’ll recap how some of the players in the Panthers’ system have played over the past week, beginning 10/19 and ending 10/25.
Current record: 3-2-0
Record since 10/19: 1-1-0
The Panthers AHL affiliate Portland Pirates played two games this week in a home-and-home back-to-back with the Albany Devils, the AHL affiliate of the New Jersey Devils. In the first game which was on Friday night, the Pirates started off well, but were slowed down by some penalties and two goals by the Devils in the first frame. However, the Pirates continued their second period dominance and got goals by John McFarland and Greg McKegg. McFarland crashed the net and tapped in the puck after a MacKenzie Weegar shot bounced off the goaltender and into the blue paint. Greg McKegg’s goal was a beautiful toe-drag top-shelf snipe which you can see below. McKegg would go on to score two goals in the 3rd period to complete the hat-trick and lift the Pirates over the Devils. Kyle Rau was impressive in this game, nearly scoring a goal and generally causing havoc all over the ice. He blocked two straight shots late in the game on the penalty kill to keep the Pirates in the lead.
The Portland Pirates were defeated 3-1 by the Albany Devils in Albany on Saturday, after the Devils scored twice in the middle frame. Mike Matheson scored his first pro goal in the third to cut the lead to two, but the Pirates were unable to catch up to the Devils. Sam Brittain stopped 29 of 32, for a save percentage of .906. The Pirates are back in action in Providence to face the 2-3-2 Bruins on Friday the 30th.
The Pirates have a three-way tie for the lead in team scoring between McKegg, Wayne Simpson, and Shane Harper who all have 5 points through 5 games played. They’ll be facing the Providence Bruins on October 30th and then the Rochester Americans on October 31st.
Right Wing, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
Total Stats: 10GP, 9G – 10A – 19PTS
Since 10/19: 3GP, 1G – 1A – 2PTS
- Chosen to represent the WHL in the annual Canada/Russia Series (formerly known as the Subway Super Series) in mid-November.
- Currently 8th in the WHL scoring race
Defenseman, Portland Pirates (AHL)
Total Stats: 5GP, 1G – 1A – 2PTS
Since 10/19: 2GP, 1G – 1A – 2PTS
- Scored his first professional goal on 10/24 in a Portland loss in Albany.
Center, Portland Pirates (AHL)
Total Stats: 5GP, 3G – 2A – 5PTS
Since 10/19: 2GP, 3G – 0A – 3PTS
- Scored a hat-trick on 10/23 against Albany and led the Pirates to a 4-2 win against the Devils.
Left Wing, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
Total Stats: 5GP, 2G – 5A – 7PTS
Since 10/15: 3GP, 1G – 4A – 5PTS,
- Has a point in every game played since coming back from his suspension.
- Selected to represent the OHL in this year’s Canada/Russia Series.
- Notched three assists in Kingston’s 3-2 over Niagara on 10/24.
Left Wing, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
Total Stats: 13GP, 4G – 7A – 11PTS
Since 10/19: 3GP, 1G – 2A – 3PTS
- Chosen to represent the QMJHL in this year’s Canada/Russia Series.
- Scored his first goal of the season for the Boston College Eagles on Saturday vs. Colorado College.
- Chosen to represent the OHL in this year’s Canada/Russia series.
- Remains sidelined with a broken wrist sustained during the Panthers’ rookie tournament in mid-September and is not expected to return to the Owen Sound Attack’s blue-line for a couple of more weeks.
- Reassigned by the Portland Pirates (AHL) to the Manchester Monarchs of the ECHL on Wednesday, October 21.
- Was returned to the ZSC Lions on 10/25 after a stint with their minor league affiliate and tallied an assist in his first game back.