Welcome to the 13th Panthers Prospect Update where we’ll recap how some of the players in the Panthers’ system have played over the past week, beginning 1/4 and ending 1/10.
- Record since 1/4: 2-0-0
- Current record: 20-13-1
- Won 5-1 against the St. John’s IceCaps on 1/8
- John McFarland scored his 12th goal of the season
- Greg McKegg scored his 6th goal of the season
- Connor Brickley scored his 2nd goal of the season in his first game since being sent down by the Panthers, and he did it with a between-the-legs shot on the power play
- 2 of the Pirates’ 4 goals came on the power play
- Mike McKenna made 29 saves on 30 shots for his 9th consecutive win
- Won 4-1 against the St John’s IceCaps on 1/9
- Garrett Wilson scored his 5th goal of the season
- John McFarland scored his 13th goal of the season on a shorthanded breakaway
- Rocco Grimaldi added his 6th goal of the season
- The Pirates went 1/4 on the power play and Mike McKenna made 40 saves on 41 shots for his 10th consecutive win
- Next 3 games for Portland
- vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 1/15 (home)
- vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 1/16 (home)
- vs. Providence Bruins, 1/17 (away)
World Junior Championships Wrap-Up
Juho Lammikko was the only Panthers prospect to earn a medal with Finland defeating Russia 4-3 in overtime on January 5th. Lammikko was also the only Panthers prospect out of the 3 who participated to not register a goal or an assist in the entire tournament. Here’s a quick tweet containing the final stats of the Panthers players who participated (not including Samuel Montembeault who didn’t appear in a game):
Blainville-Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL), Goaltender
Season stats: 24 games, 8-15-0 record, 2.76 GAA, .886 SV%
- In his first start after returning from World Juniors on 1/8, Montembeault allowed 4 goals on 18 shots against Baie-Comeau.
- Montembeault earned a win the next day allowing 1 goal on 26 shots through regulation and overtime…also saved both shootout attempts faced.
Boston College (NCAA), Defenseman
Season stats: 20 games, 3 goals, 4 assists, 7 points
- Tallied his 3rd goal of the season for BC on 1/9 vs. Providence…has a goal and 2 assists in his last 4 games played.
University of Michigan (NCAA), Defenseman
Season stats: 17 games, 3 goals, 8 assists, 11 points
- Scored his 3rd goal of the season for Michigan on 1/9 vs. Michigan State…has 11 points in 17 games as a junior.
Youngstown Phantoms (USHL), Goaltender
Season stats: 18 games, 9-3-3 record, 2.61 GAA, .901 SV%
- Allowed 4 goals on 27 shots on 1/8 vs. Green Bay Gamblers and lost in the shootout.
- Was pulled from the game against Madison Capitols on 1/9 after allowed 3 goals on 5 shots in the first 10 minutes of the game.
- Bednard has had a rough go recently after being one of the top goaltenders in the league from September until the end of November.