Welcome to the 35th edition of the Panthers Prospect Update! Here, we’ll recap the past week of hockey (10/3 – 10/9) for Panthers prospects and players in college, juniors, international leagues, and the Springfield Thunderbirds, the team’s AHL affiliate.
- Defeated the Providence Bruins in a preseason game on 10/7 by a score of 2-1…goals from Rihards Bukarts and Michael Downing (GWG)
- Defeated the Hartford Wolf Pack in a preseason game on 10/8 by a score of 3-0…goals from Graham Black (GWG), Dryden Hunt, and Logan Shaw.
University of Denver (NCAA), Center
Season stats: 2 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points
- Faced Ohio State on 10/7 (NCAA regular season debut) and Boston College on 10/8…didn’t score in either game, but was impressive offensively and came close on countless occasions…adjusting to North American style quickly and looking more and more confident in each shift that he takes. Looked especially good against BC as he was dangerous with the puck and nearly scored on a steal and nice drive to the net.
- Won 7 of 12 face-offs on 10/8 and had a game-leading 7 shots on goal.
University of Denver (NCAA), Goaltender
Season stats: 1 games, 0-1-0 record, 2.01 GAA, .905 SV%
- Started the 2nd game of Denver’s weekend series on 10/8 against Boston College. Allowed 2 goals, one being a deflection with net-front traffic and the other being a rebound after an initial save. Aside from the 2 goals, Cowley was really sharp in his first game of the season…moved across the crease effortlessly and made a highlight-reel glove save.
University of Maine (NCAA), Center
Season stats: 2 games, 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 points
- Scored his first NCAA goal in his first career game on 10/7 and then recorded his first assist the next day on 10/8 against RPI.
Blainville-Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL), Goaltender
Season stats: 3 games, 3-0-0 record, 0.65 GAA, .972 SV%
- In his 2nd game of the season, recorded a 19-save shutout against Sherbrooke on 10/7.
- Made 26 saves on 27 shots against Drummondville on 10/9 in a shootout victory…the Armada lost the first 4 games of the season before Montembeault was returned by the Panthers, and they’ve now won 3 straight games, all of which he’s started.
Peterborough Petes (OHL), Center
Season stats: 6 games, 1 goal, 3 assists, 4 points
- Scored the shootout winner on 10/6 against Saginaw.
- Tallied his 1st goal of the season on 10/7 against London as well as a primary assist on the first goal of the game.
- Went pointless on 10/8 against Sarnia
Kitchener Rangers (OHL), Left Wing
Season stats: 4 games, 1 goal, 5 assists, 6 points
- Scored his first goal of the season in addition to 2 assists on 10/7 against Sarnia
- Recorded no points on 10/8 against Barrie
University of North Dakota (NCAA), Right Wing
Season stats: 2 games, 0 goals, 1 assists, 1 point
- Tallied his first point of the season, a primary assist, on 10/9 against Canisius.